Welcome to my blog! I'm going to be using it almost like an artistic journal. I'll be posting new work, sketches, scribbles, and finished pieces. All the work is solely mine unless specified. So stick around, I can guarantee a journey. Comments are welcomed.

You can visit my website and online portfolio at:
www.BraxtonIllustration.com


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ode to Basquiat and Warhol.

  The late Jean-Michel Basquiat happens to be one of my favorite artists. He was an outsider artist so it really is an acquired aesthetic. Most people who don't know much about art view it as child-like and silly and it is in a way, but there is so much more to it than that. I did this piece while I was experimenting with different materials and techniques last year. The background is a giant coffee stain, which I love to use now, and the hair was masked off and I dripped blue ink onto a wet surface. The face itself is actually a drawing I did, then I xeroxed it and did an image transfer to give it a "block print" look to it. I love the aesthetic of a broken image, a screen print that looks old and faded.
    The second piece was done from advice I got from one of my teachers. I love Andy Warhol, who doesn't? Its very cliche, but it looks cool with the image I think. It was fun to do, and it added color to a very monochromatic piece. Without Further ado, here they are...

                                  ---CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE---
--R.I.P. Jean-Michel Basquiat & Andy Warhol--
There were actually a few more things that I did with this image, but I thought two were enough for now. Maybe I will post the others some other time.
Until next time,
-Braxton

                                                               

1 comment: